Eric's Happy Corner Episode 4

smileyfaces are my demise!

As we start the weekend, what is better than a good appetizer; something to wet the musical palette (if you will).  What happier way to get the juices flowing is there than by reading another "Eric's Happy Corner!"







I've sat at this computer for two weeks and tried to use the force just to make the computer type something by itself.  As you may have guessed (or at least my publisher guessed and kept bugging me to get my column out) I've been out-of-commission for a little while.  I was in the Amazon researching the musical history of the butuu-uttuut-huttutuu tribe, when out of nowhere I got the flu.  Crazy stuff right?....

Well now that I'm back in the saddle, it is time that we begin our musical journey once again.  This week we have a lot of ground to make up, so I decided we should start in the 60's, because every good musical journey should begin in the 60's (don't forget to pick up the good LSD on your way back...)

The Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight Live


)

So the crazy thing about this band is I've actually met them, and hung out with them and smoked weed with them.  Strange story, but my dad actually convinced them to come to Twin Falls Idaho (of all places) for a charity concert.  They played at the High School Football Stadium (of all places), and afterward the show we went out to dinner (of all places...wait that didn't work there did it?).  Yes, you heard that right, I went to the "after-after party!"  I hung out with the band and we happened to quote Monty Python the entire night. Fortunately for me I had a plethora of Monty Python quotes handy, in my back pocket, ready at a moments notice.  It was a lot of fun for me, but they got so plastered I doubt they'll ever remember me; the strange skinny kid from Idaho who could quote Monty Python.  I was with my dad, so unfortunately I couldn't even pretend like I got drunk.

Arctic Monkeys - Arabella


)

I have no idea why I have an affinity for picking songs that have absolutely horrible videos...but this is no different.  Here is the audio only, but if you dare brave the official video (you're going to do it again aren't you?) just be aware that it has explicit "flashes" here and there, so please just close your eyes and pretend you're looking at a statue of me.  (there.... that is better isn't it...)  This song is by far the best song the Arctic Monkeys have ever done...and I approve with two thumbs up and part of my middle finger.


Shiny Toy Guns - You are the One


)

I know what you're thinking, this song isn't new...Eric, what are you doing to us?  Well let me explain; I love this band so much, I feel it is my duty to spread the gospel of the Guns.  I have come to realize that no one in my circle of esteemed colleagues listens to this band, and I must rectify this.  Therefore I demand that everyone love this band as I...
I approve with three thumbs up and both middle fingers!


Here are your picks for the week, as Steve Shives on the YouTube says, "the hardest part is only picking three."

Now, let us write music!

No comments: